JD Conley, Brava’s VP of Software Engineering, is our resident BBQ expert. He’s been tweaking this recipe for about 15 years. It’s designed for baby back pork ribs, but it works well on chicken and beef, too! Use this rub and cook ‘em right and your guests won’t want sauce, which of course is the true test of good BBQ. Chef’s Tip: Experiment with different chili powders instead of crushed red pepper flakes. Chipotle is one of JD’s favorites. If you prefer no heat, just omit the chili flakes!
Sweet and Spicy BBQ Rub
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup + 2 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 2 tablespoons coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon granulated onion
- 1 tablespoon crushed red pepper flakes
- In medium bowl, stir together salt, brown sugar, smoked paprika, pepper, garlic, onion and crushed red pepper.
- This recipe yields about 1½ cups.
- Use Brava’s dry-rubbed recipe programs when selecting the protein you want to cook. We offer dry-rubbed recipe program options for most proteins. This dry rub recipe has sugar, which may burn if using Brava’s standard protein recipe programs.
- Store in airtight container in a cool, dark, dry place for up to 1 year.